A bit of history
Read more Close
The earliest records of the Place Dauphine date back to 1462, when it consisted of two independent islands. In 1607, King Henri IV decided to unite them and create a triangular square on the tip of the Ile de la Cité. In accordance with Sully's wishes, thirty-two identical houses were built, each housing a small commercial space on the first floor.
King Henri IV decided to name the area after his dauphin Louis XIII, born in 1601. The final name, "Place Dauphine", was adopted a few years later.